Stuck in the pan...

Last night I made Ina's Sour Cream Coffee Cake.  Since the weather is such that I feel as though I am living in an oven, I hated to even turn on the oven.  The house was warming up nicely and the coffee cake was raising nicely.  The batter had tasted wonderful and I could hardly wait for it to come out of the oven! Or, is it that I could hardly wait to turn off the oven!?

I didn't have the type of pan that was recommended so I had to use a bundt pan.  Maybe that was the problem.  When I inverted the pan, nothing happened.  (It was too hot for problems....)  It was a very stubborn coffee cake. 


When some of the cake finally was released, it was not a beautiful cake. It came out in chunks.  I tried to put it back together but it was too hot to attempt this puzzle. 

I wasn't too excited about putting any of the glaze on the cake...the glaze, I thought, was really lacking.  Well, I lost all enthusiasm for this cake.  It was destined to go with the Kitchen Gnome when he went camping with the guys the next day.  Guys don't care if the cake is beautiful.




What a mess!
 
Let's talk taste...the batter, as I said, was great.  It really reminded me of the batter that Ina uses for her Blueberry Muffins.  The cake is moist and not too sweet.  You can get the recipe here.
 

Barefoot Bloggers made this coffee cake in June.  I made it in August!  I am late and begging forgiveness.


Since not all things are perfect....I am also submitting this for Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Designs by Gollum.

Comments

  1. It is always nice to see recipes that don't work as well as our successes. It looks tasty even so:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this happen, over and over, with my mother's pound cake recipe. She used a very old and very battered angel food cake pan. I finally resorted to doing her cake in two loaf pans or four small loaf pans. I still have to thoroughly butter/oil the pans and when I'm really feeling "correct" putting waxed paper in the bottom. Once, when this happened for company and I was planning to put strawberries over the cake, I just turned it into a trifle in the truest sense of the word!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to say while it might not be the prettiest, I bet it's really tasty! and I know that frustration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How upsetting. I just hate when a recipe doesn't go as planned:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bummer... so sorry this happened to you. Next time you bake in a bundt, try spraying your pan with Baker's Joy (oil and flour spray). It give me perfect release each and every time.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, I hate it when that happens! I think Ina's recipe is excellent, and I also really like Paula Deen's pound cake. I think your cake looks delish. The taste is what really matters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't ya just hate it when that happens!?!? But it does happen, I'm sure it tasted great though:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a shame! It actually looks delicious even with its 'rustic' shape :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stuck in the pan! Dial 911!
    I will tell Ina what happened! She will know what to do! :)
    Bet they loved it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just call it Sour Cream Crumble and it will be a hit! I really like the Baker's Joy spray for pans. Still it happens to all of us now and then. Still looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate it when that happens, but my kids love it, they get to eat everything that clings to the pan.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  12. What refreshing pictures! When I visit blogs sometimes I am intimidated by the gorgeous photos...I am shopping around for a Canon Rebel, but so far I just use a simple P&S. Love your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are brave to show us your cake. Things like that happen to everyone from time to time, especially if you like to try new recipes, which I do. You made the best of it and that's all that counts.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts