Chi Chi's Chimichangas

One should never get their new blog assignment for The Secret Recipe Club when hungry!  Cruising through a new blog while hungry means that one will have difficulty narrowing down the possibilities. That was the situation when I cruised Mommy's Menu by Toni.  Toni is a mother of seven who manages to prepare healthy meals everyday for her family and on a budget.  That is something that all of us can appreciate during the present economy.

I was in the mood for chicken and we love Mexican food so when I found the recipe for Chi Chi's Chimichangas I knew I would be serving them for dinner and since I had never made chimichangas before it was also going to be an adventure!

Preparation is key to a happy chef with this recipe.  I found that having everything prepped made the process go smoothly.


Chi Chi's Chimichanga

Serves 4

2 tbsp unsalted butter
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced (remove seeds for less heat)
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
kosher salt to taste
1 small  tomato, chopped,  plus more for topping
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped, plus additional for topping
2 1/2 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken or poach breasts, shredded)
1/4 cup sour cream
1 (15 oz) can refried beans
4 (10 inch) flour tortillas
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, plus additional for topping
Mexi-sauce, for topping (recipe below)
Shredded lettuce, for topping
Avocado, chopped for topping
Mexican Red Rice, for serving

Preheat oven to 450° F.  Melt the butter with 2 Tbsp vegetable oil in a skillet; transfer to a bowl.  Heat the remaining 2 Tbsp oil in the skillet and add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno,  cook over medium-low heat until soft.  Add the chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and 1 tsp salt;  toast 30 seconds.  Add the tomato and cilantro and cook until slightly dry, about 2 minutes.  Stir in the chicken and sour cream and warm through.  Remove from the heat.

Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment and brush with some of the butter-oil mixture.  Spread 2 tablespoons refried beans down the center of each tortilla, leaving a 2-inch border on the ends.  Top with 1 cup chicken mixture and 1/4 cup cheese.  Fold in the ends and roll up.

Put the chimichangas seam-side down on the baking sheet; brush them with the butter-oil mixture.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes (keep an eye on them so that they do not burn) per side, brushing again after you  flip them.

To serve, top with the sauce, more cheese, lettuce, tomato and avocado.  Serve with Mexican Red Rice and the remaining refried beans.

Mexi-Sauce

1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp chili powder, cumin, sugar and salt
2 (4 oz) cans green chilies, drained
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Saute 1/2 cup chopped onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves in a skillet over medium-low heat in a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil.  Add the chili powder, cumin, sugar and salt; cook 30 seconds.  Stir in the green chilies and cook 2 minutes.  Add 1 cup chicken broth and simmer until thickened, then puree.  Stir in 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.

PRINTABLE RECIPE

This recipe appealed to me because the Chimichangas are baked.  It is a much less fattening method of preparation.  We enjoyed every bite.  This was a great recipe.  It wasn't real spicy so if you like spicy-hot food as we do, you will need to ratchet it up a little bit!

Comments

  1. OMG I would kill for this plate right now, I bet the flavor was really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this before - we LOVED it! Now I need to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This look SO good! I used to adore chi-chis as a kid until the restaurant in our area closed...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking meal Kathy - we've never made them either, but may have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of our family's favorite meals! I'm glad you liked them. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice for SRC, these look so delicious! So glad to be in Group C with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! This looks absolutely wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love me some chimichungas! No ChiChi's here, now I can make my own ChiChi..yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooo wishin' that plate was in front of me right now:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look awesome! I love all chicken/Mexican type dishes but the sauce looks like it's what makes this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chi Chi's---what a blast from the past! Are they still around? (Used to crave that fried ice cream which wasn't really fried at all.) :)

    Hubby loves chimichungas. This is only the 15th recipe I have printed off from this month's reveals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love Chi Chi's! I would really love one of these right now. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too love that these are baked, yum!

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree preparation is the key! the mexi sauce looks yummy, can't wait to try this recipe.
    Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delicious dish for the SRC...I'd love it for my dinner tonight :) So happy to be in Group C with you...we rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I only wish I had all the ingredients to make these tonight! They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE baking chimichangas! You can also spray them with cooking spray to save a few calories...still end up nice and crunchy and yum-o!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never made chimichangas, but they look delicious. I often order them in Mexican restaurants. Now I know my family would love me if I made these. Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Kate, this looks delicious and sounds wonderful too!! Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great choice for this month's SRC. We love Mexican food and I'm always on the lookout for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea to bake rather than fry! Love the flavors - nice pick!Glad to be part of SRC group C with you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. sounds so flavorful - love mexican food - it's at it's best here!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts